Monday, September 22, 2014

The Liberation Chronicles

"Being human is an art form." -Natasha Tsakos


LIBERATION DESTINATION

This has kept me up at night. It has been spinning in my mind for a large part of my adult life. 
How do we free ourselves?
What does it mean to truly be free?
Can you be free in a space that dehumanizes you?
Is freedom only an internal struggle?
Free you mind and the rest will follow?

I traveled to Palestine and Israel this summer. I landed June 15, 2014 and left the country on June 28, 2014. These two weeks are still being processed in my psyche. I learned about the concept of "Beautiful Resistance." I watched Palestinians in so much pain that I felt like the hurt was physically transferred to me. I felt the connections from my own cultural struggle with freedom in America as a black woman. I tagged the segregation wall with spray paint. I mediated on peace. I closed my eyes and wished for LIBERATION.  I was moved. I am changed. 

I am currently developing a new piece of art. 

LIBERATION DESTINATION examines the intersections between creativity, spirituality and technology. Imagined in a world that exists of only social media posts, news feeds and media, Lady Terror embarks on an experimental journey of surrendering and resistance by asking the question, "What does it mean to truly be free?" The work is greatly influenced by the similarities discovered between the Palestinian Liberation struggle and the Black Liberation Movement while the artist studied in Gaza in June 2014.  Using hip hop music, negro spirituals, poetry, travel documents, dance and multimedia, Liberation Destination shares and highlights the struggle that all humans battle with throughout life. How do we live an authentic life?  How can we heal each other? 

It will premiere in Atlanta in Spring 2015. Follow me on Instagram to watch the development of the show and gain inspiration: IG: Liberationdestination



Hip hop music, negro spirituals and sound chants inspire this work. Enjoy this inspired piece by Lauryn Hill. 

More soon....




No comments:

Artist Statement

I create art for the ones who lost their voice a long time ago. I believe that impromptu spectacles can bring awareness to social justice issues that paralyze our communities. Lady Terror examines the relationship between public space and performance space and also explores ranting as a medium to address social issues and as a tool to empower communities. My art is local and neighborhood specific in its execution but global in its ideas around poverty, injustice and violence.