The stunts and spectacles that I attempt to create serve specific goals: to raise awareness, to connect community and provide a creative solution to our social issues. With all that said, I simply wanted to serve and empower human beings to connect with their potential. The medium that I experimented with when developing the persona of Lady Terror was Performance Art. I found this cool definition for Performance Art:
"Performance Art was a global term, and its definition a bit more specific. "Performance Art" meant that it was live, and it was art, not theater. Performance Art also meant that it was art that could not be bought, sold or traded as a commodity. Actually, the latter sentence is of major importance. Performance artists saw (and see) the movement as a means of taking their art directly to a public forum, thus completely eliminating the need for galleries, agents, brokers, tax accountants and any other aspect of capitalism. It's a sort of social commentary on the purity of art."
So, the stunts started organically once I decided to use the bullhorn and soapbox as the symbols for the mission.
My next stunt is coming Spring 2013 and involves:
- a typewriter
- mobile office with desk and chair
- original poetry written
- poetry from my favs (Sonia Sanchez, Gwendolyn Brooks, Lansgton Hughes, Wanda Coleman and more.)
- the streets of Atlanta
|Photo I snapped at the East Point, Georgia Historical Society|
- I love stunts and shaking up the mundane rituals of daily life in shocking and unexpected ways.
- April/May 2013 The Words Heal Stunt will take place on streets in hoods through out Atlanta.
- Schedule of dates, location and times will be posted here (if you are in Atlanta area and have location ideas or requests email me at firstname.lastname@example.org)