Monday, March 22, 2010

Soapbox Snapping

I’m climbing up
Out thru the basement
Like a cockroach
I stay
Extermination is futile
I goes on
Survivor of genocide
Warrior lady
Blood soaked hands
I’m mad
Pissed actually
Menace on a mission
Creating a scene

I complicate things
For diversity
Question what others ignore
Go against the flow
Irritate the entitled
Done being cordial
No longer politically correct
I like being a mad, angry black bitch
Nappy headed is my goal
Used to be nice
Until you flipped the switch
Until you brought up oppression and poverty
You wanna see my ignorance?
Test me

Don’t understand your stereotypes
I define myself
We can’t get along
Social entrepreneur
Building community
Organizing
Providing soap boxes
So others can go off
I support the madness
Putting you under the microscope
Asking the police to pull over
Can I see your ID?
A neighborhood watching
Unapologetically me
Fuck you type lady
I got dreams
My community got goals
Still hearing racism whispered daily
People don’t even know they being offensive
I’m putting you on blast
I’m actually trying to offend you
Get mad
It’s a great starting point for change
I’m pissed
Why are you so calm?

I’m not sorry
Past being rational
This ain’t no game
Serious soap box snapping
Ranting and raving for a reason
Social justice
I’ll give my life for this
My daddy already gave his
A guinea pig
For how much stress a black man can take in America
How many times was he called nigga at his railroad job?
Twenty five years
Before it’s internalized
Terrorizing our hoods with poverty

My daddy dead
And we still debating a Universal Health Care plan in this country?
Shame on you!
Still building fried food shacks instead of grocery stores in the hood?
Shame on us!
Shame on you Whole Foods
For claiming to be a progressive company
But only building stores in upper class areas
I guess poor people don’t wanna eat organic?
Outrage!
Shame on you
You elitist assholes
For judging us
For judging me
Shame on us
For thinking they can solve our problems
We can solve our own shit
Lady Terror in the building
Menace on a mission
Terrorizing for a cause
I’m pissed
Why are you so calm?

Lady Terror
2009

No comments:

Artist Statement

I create art for the ones who lost their voice a long time ago. I believe that impromptu spectacles can bring awareness to social justice issues that paralyze our communities. Lady Terror examines the relationship between public space and performance space and also explores ranting as a medium to address social issues and as a tool to empower communities. My art is local and neighborhood specific in its execution but global in its ideas around poverty, injustice and violence.