Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Find the inspiration

Theater lab at Emory University
Last night, I had the pleasure of being a part of a workshop series called "Breaking Ground" with the Department of Theater at Emory University. It is a series of informal Monday evenings devoted to the development of new work. I presented excerpts from my one woman show, "I Will Not Calm Down" and workshopped with students on ideas for staging solo work, inspiration and innovative ways to interact with audiences. I had a wonderful experience and have pages of ideas and notes to use as I continue to develop my show. I love collaborating to create theater. Its truly magical and liberating. Below are some notes/quotes from the participants that stuck out to me and still leave me inspired:

- "Everyday write something in your journal that inspires  you to create."

- "Don't let your audience get comfortable. They are not static. They can participate in the work."

-"You should be constantly creating your own brand of theater."

-"You can create a battleground of lights on stage. Bring the streets to the stage."

I left with so many ideas on how to use sound and lights during my theater creations. I hope to come back and learn with the students again. The energy and spirit of the room left me high with possibilities for new work. Thank you Emory!

All arrows point towards inspiration.


 






No comments:

Artist Statement

I create art for the ones who lost their voice a long time ago. I believe that impromptu spectacles can bring awareness to social justice issues that paralyze our communities. Lady Terror examines the relationship between public space and performance space and also explores ranting as a medium to address social issues and as a tool to empower communities. My art is local and neighborhood specific in its execution but global in its ideas around poverty, injustice and violence.