Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Upcycling and the Vision Box

I have the crafting bug all in me and can't stop with the modPodge and decoupage projects. As I experiment with different techniques I was inspired to focus my crafting on Upcycling. Upcycling is: the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value. It's taking something that you would otherwise throw out and finding a way to make it into something else. As I was cleaning up, I found two of my old cell phone boxes. I remember stashing them away because I loved the sleek design of them. I found some nice images of Tina Turner in my original search of my mags and knew I wanted to do a project inspired by one of my favorites: Tina Turner.
I started the process when I saw the text: "Do what you Love" in an old yoga magazine. This one sentence inspired the idea for the entire Vision Box concept. I decided to paste it inside so it could be displayed as the foundation of the entire design. Before I move on with more of the process, Let me explain the concept of my Vision Boxes.

The Vision Box: I love the idea of Vision Boards, Law of Attraction, Positive Affirmations, Mediation and Visualization as tools for fulfilling your dreams. I have created vision boards for years and love the artistic aspect of them. My Vision Boxes are for holding what's close to you and remembering your center. I envision you holding inspiring quotes inside, trinkets of hope, love letters to yourself and photos of family. I have had this one displayed open on a shelf with the "Do What you Love" staring right at me everytime i pass it. I believe that words are power and surrrounding yourself with inspiration is important as you follow your path.

I will continue the rhinestones around all sides and I also glued these round mirrored tiles. I love these tiles so much.

I moved onto the first step in the latering prcess. I usually out my first base layer down first then use it as inspiraion for more images over it later.

I then was inspired by the images of Tina Turner so I added them as the spirit moved me. This is a close up of Tina's beautiful leg. Her legs are so iconic in pop culture and inspring. To me they represent strength.

I then added photos to the back of box and the front of the lid.



Later today I will add a third layer of accent colors, images, objects for texture and paint. I am very pleased with the results so far and plan to continue on my theme of strong women by creating a Zora Neale Hurston Vision Box and a Coretta Scott King Vision box. I also have plans to decoupage an IPad box and thrifting on Thursday to find new treasures to experiment with. My etsy page is empty right now as I organize my products for selling. I did however open one and names it TerrorChic.

I actually already have buyers for the Josephine Baker Cabinet and the Tina Turner Vision Box. Woohoo! I am grateful. Keep manifesting.

No comments:

Artist Statement

I create art for the ones who lost their voice a long time ago. I believe that impromptu spectacles can bring awareness to social justice issues that paralyze our communities. Lady Terror examines the relationship between public space and performance space and also explores ranting as a medium to address social issues and as a tool to empower communities. My art is local and neighborhood specific in its execution but global in its ideas around poverty, injustice and violence.